Thinking of studying abroad but still not sure if it's the right time to do it? Taking an online Bachelor’s degree is an ideal alternative if you want to advance professionally, but lack the time to do a traditional, on-campus Bachelor’s programme.
Maybe you want to retrain in a new profession without quitting your job, or you really want to study at an international university that is too far away from you. Either way, long-distance learning offers you the flexibility and independence you need.
We’re here to help you understand how distance learning undergraduate degrees work, what are the main reasons why they are popular, and where to find the best online Bachelor’s programmes.
There are many reasons why online degrees are growing in popularity, but here are the main ones:
1. You can set your own study schedule
A distance learning programme means that you can set up your own schedule to attend online classes and finish assignments. For example, you’ll have a whole week to watch a class posted on a given day, until the next class is uploaded. Think of it as a long-distance relationship with benefits.
Bachelor's classes are typically in a video or text format and cover one module per week, like a traditional class.
2. You are not tied down to one location
One of the best things about online Bachelors is that you don’t have to be physically present on campus to attend classes. You don't even have to study in the same place while remaining in your home country.
Take your classes with you while travelling to your relatives, at the library, on your way to work, or even check your video lessons while sipping coffee at the coffee shop across the street.
This opens numerous opportunities because you can do your Bachelor’s at a prestigious international university without having to be physically there. No need to try and fit your whole life into a suitcase, or figuring out how to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius.
Here are some examples of universities offering great online Bachelors:
- La Trobe - Didasko
- University of Canberra
- University of Essex Online
- The Open University UK
- Swinburne Online
3. Easier application and admission process
Distance-learning Bachelor’s programmes have a simple application and admission process.
Most universities offering online Bachelors have rolling admissions, meaning you don't have to wait for a specific date to apply; you can do it immediately after you make up your mind, and even start your studies without too much delay.
Here are some of the most common admission requirements for online Bachelors:
- High school diploma or an equivalent qualification
- High school transcript of records
- Minimum GPA: 2.0
- Minimum English language test scores: IELTS Academic - 5.0, TOEFL iBT - 60, PTE Academic - 45
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- Online or face-to-face interview
- Proof of paying the application fee (if required)
At most online universities, there is no age or studies limit, which makes this type of Bachelor’s degree an excellent option for those who are past their college years but want to retrain in another specialisation.
4. Lots of online subjects to choose from
Although the online studies trend started in the US and the UK, many countries have expanded their online Bachelor’s programmes nowadays.
There are many other online Bachelor's degrees you can choose from:
- Online Bachelors in Business
- Online Bachelors in Education
- Online Bachelors in General Engineering
- Online Bachelors in Computer Science
- Online Bachelors in Languages
5. Affordable online Bachelors
The costs of an online Bachelor’s degree start at as little as 400 EUR/year, which is really, really cheap, compared to on-campus education. Of course, tuition fees will vary from one country or university to another.
Some programmes cost 5,000 EUR/year, others 12,000, and some over 20,000 EUR. There is a Bachelor's for everyone; all you need to do is find the one that matches your goals and budget:
- 0 - 1,000 EUR/year: over 150 online Bachelors
- 1,000 - 5,000 EUR/year: over 350 online Bachelors
- 5,000 - 10,000 EUR/year: over 380 online Bachelors
- 10,000 - 20,000 EUR/year: over 1,700 online Bachelors
- over 20,000 EUR/year: over 1,500 online Bachelors
Add in the fact that you don’t have to spend money on transportation, accommodation, and living costs in a different country, and you can call it a bargain.
6. Your professors will help along the way
Most online professors and instructors are always willing to assist their online students and provide individual feedback. So, don't worry: you will get attention and support, even if you won’t see them face-to-face.
Your teachers or instructors will post deadlines, reading materials, assignments, and online participation requirements. Note that some distance-learning programmes require you to be present for certain classes or take the exams on campus, even if all the other courses take place online. These are usually called blended courses or studies and you should be aware of the difference.
Challenges of studying an online Bachelor’s
While there are many reasons why you should study an online Bachelor’s programme, you should also think about possible disadvantages, because you want to make sure you cover all points, both negative, and positive.
Some possible downsides:
- Little or no face-to-face interactions with colleagues and teachers
- Sporadic technical problems with the online platform, which can be frustrating and delay your schedule. Expect a lot of meetings starting with “Hello? Can you hear me? I can hear you.”
- Hard to keep up with the schedule if you lack self-motivation, discipline or tend to procrastinate. You will have to meet certain points at certain intervals in your education, so spending a whole night awake before an exam won’t cut it here.
Watch out for scams! Fortunately, there are ways to avoid f245740ing victim to a scam. It's easier than ever to make a fake website look like the real deal, so make sure you don't fall for that. Always check the accreditation of your online course and the university. When in doubt, double (or triple) check and ask for a second opinion.
For the independent learner in you, doing an online Bachelor’s degree might be just what the doctor ordered. So, go check out more online Bachelors and start advancing your career!