London, United Kingdom
|No. Students:||16,900 (6,444 int'l)*||No. of Academic staff:||3,000|
|Type of education:|
|Location||Show on map|
* Quality degree all of our students graduate with a University of London degree, recognised internationally as a guarantee of quality
* World-class reputation we are consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the UK and are one of the top 150 in the world (THE World University Rankings 2012/13)
* Leading research-intensive university in the most recent Research Assessment Exercise, we were ranked 11th out of 132 universities in the UK (Guardian)
* Teaching excellence in the 2012 National Student Survey, which measures student satisfaction, we were ranked first among Londons Russell Group institutions
* Russell Group We are a member of the Russell Group, of leading universities in the UK, all committed to the best research and teaching
* A number of Queen Marys Schools are listed in the top ten for their individual subject rankings, including: English and Drama, Law, Medicine and Dentistry, Geography and Environmental Sciences, Materials and Film. Our Schools of Economics and Finance, Languages and Linguistics, and Physics fall just outside the top ten (Guardian University Guide 2013)
* Each year Queen Mary offers research studentships and masters bursaries to its most highly new-qualified applicants. Last year the College awarded over 80 scholarships to a total of over £10 million and this year we will be making a similar investment to support the next generation of research students. Awards are available to both home and overseas students.
Queen Mary, University of London is one of the UK's leading research-focused higher education institutions. We teach and research across a wide range of subjects in the humanities, social sciences, law, medicine and dentistry, and science and engineering. Based in a creative and culturally diverse area of east London, we are the only London university able to offer a completely integrated residential campus, with a 2,000-bed award-winning student village at our Mile End home. Queen Mary is one of 24 leading UK universities represented by the Russell Group, that are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience, excellent graduate employability and unrivalled links with business and the public sector. Queen Mary offers outstanding students a stimulating, supportive and high-quality learning experience, with teaching inspired by our world-leading research. We have also invested more than 250m in new facilities over the last fifteen years to offer our students an exceptional learning environment. Our priority is to provide high-quality and relevant programmes of study that mean you get the very best out of the time you spend with us. You will graduate with an enhanced set of skills and knowledge that is extremely attractive to employers.
A number of our postgraduate programmes are accredited by the relevant professional bodies, including:
* All Queen Mary LLM modules, which are taken as part of the Postgraduate Diploma Programme, are accredited by the Law Society and Bar Council of England and Wales and confer CPD points. In addition, all Queen Mary LLM modules are accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA)
* Postgraduate Diploma in International Mediation - accredited by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and provides full academic exemption from Fellowship exams
* Postgraduate Diploma in International Dispute Resolution (Arbitration) - components of the programme are accredited, amongst others, by the American Bar Association, the Chartered Institute of Arbitration and the Law Society (for CPD hours)
* MSc Software Engineering - accredited by the British Computer Society. CITP Further Learning (Exemption) and CEng*/CSci (Partial Fulfilment) (*conditional on taking module AMCM055 Software Risk Assessment)
* MSc/Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Microbiology - accredited by the Association of Clinical Microbiologists
* MSc Medical Electronics and Physics - accredited by Institute of Physics and Electronics in Medicine
Over recent years, we have invested more than £300m in new facilities, establishing an exceptional learning environment. We are the only university in central London to offer a completely integrated residential campus, with a 2,000-bed student village at our Mile End home, which creates a friendly and safe place for study. We are very lucky to be just one tube stop away from the Olympic Park and the new Westfield Stratford City shopping centre, the largest urban shopping centre in Europe. Queen Mary has five campuses. Our main campus is in Mile End, a vibrant and culturally diverse area of east London, close to the financial districts of the City and Canary Wharf. Less than a mile away, is our Whitechapel campus, home to the Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry. At the centre of this campus is the stunning Blizard Building, which houses the largest open-plan laboratories in Europe. More centrally, our Charterhouse Square and West Smithfield campuses contain some of our medical research facilities, while our Lincolns Inn Fields site is home to the Graduate School of Law and the Centre for Commercial Law Studies. We offer dedicated postgraduate-only spaces for our students, including teaching and study rooms, and laboratories.
The College has invested heavily in both new and existing resources, boasting excellent academic, housing and social facilities on campus. You will have access to both the Colleges modern main library and to the other library collections of the University of London. You will also have access to free email, Wi-Fi internet and excellent computer resources. The College Careers Service offers a range of support services, including help with finding part-time work.
Overlooking the Regents Canal, the student village at Mile End has lots of green space, and contains contemporary accommodation, a shop, a launderette, cafés, a bar and a Santander bank branch. Based at Mile End, the Queen Marys Students Union organises social and sporting activities, and is one of the most active students unions in the University of London. A state-of-the-art health and fitness centre allows our students to balance their academic studies with a healthy lifestyle. The gym includes a ladies-only gym, two studios, a squash court and a sports hall.
Our Mile End campus is located one mile from the City of London (hence the name) and a similar distance from Canary Wharf. The hub of Londons creative and cultural community, east London represents the best of the city rich in history, yet always looking to the future, and ethnically diverse, while retaining a uniquely British character. London is one of the worlds most culturally rich and inspiring cities. Living here you can take advantage of some of the best resources in the country, such as special collections, libraries, museums, outstanding art galleries, theatre, and live music venues, as well as first-class sporting and other recreational facilities.
Do you work here? Please register in order to update this page.