History
When Fitchburg State was established in 1894, it was known as the State Normal School in Fitchburg, and the sole curriculum was a two-year teacher-training program for women. There was no campus then, just a temporary quarters set up in an old high school building on Academy Street operated by Principal John G. Thompson and a teaching staff of three.