Northwest University was founded by the Northwest Ministry Network of the Assemblies of God and opened to students on October 1, 1934. The District Presbytery appointed Dr. Henry H. Ness to be the first president. The University was housed in the facilities of Hollywood Temple, Seattle, Washington, for the first twenty-five years of its existence.
The people of Northwest University carry the call of God by continually building a learning community dedicated to spiritual vitality, academic excellence, and empowered engagement with human need.
Northwest University is a regionally-accredited, Christian coeducational undergraduate institution offering baccalaureate college education under the control of the Alaska, Montana, Oregon, Northwest, Southern Idaho, and Wyoming districts of the Assemblies of God. All these districts are represented on the University's Board of Directors. The University is endorsed by the Commission on Christian Higher Education of the Assemblies of God and the Association of Christian Schools International.