In its first five years of existence, UJ doubled its accredited research output and increased its number of distinguished South African Research Chairs from none to seven. This remarkable achievement was reached well ahead of the target set for 2015. The 2010 research outcome was the result of UJ’s desire, during the initial period, to establish UJ as a thoroughly research-focused university.
UJ boasts world-class, internationally recognised academic programmes based on curricula informed by cutting-edge developments in both undergraduate and postgraduate education. UJ’s programmes, within its nine faculties, are designed to prepare students for the world of work and for global citizenship. UJ’s graduate success rate now stands at 83,4% and the overall annual graduate output is in excess of 11,400 students. The University’s First Year Experience Programme (FYE), an initiative offering academic skills reinforcement with an accent on students mentoring fellow students, is one of the support programmes that help ease the school-to-university transition.
UJ has benefited from a large pool of researchers bringing together various fields of expertise and research focus areas. The University provides the ideal ground for interdisciplinary research with a growing number of NRF-rated researchers choosing to settle on our campuses. Six of our researchers are currently A-rated – all of whom are recognised as world leaders in their field. UJ is also home to a growing number of research centres. Our research focuses on South Africa and the southern African region, but also looks beyond to the wider scholarly community
A qualification in botany or plant science may allow you to pursue careers in areas such as:
The Student Enrolment Centre (SEC) was established to centralise the total application process and the selection process for nine Faculties and offers a comprehensive one-stop service. Included within this centre are the Contact Centre (Call Centre and Information Desk), Biographics (Student and Staff cards included) and the Selection Division. Postgraduate applications are also administered with the Student Enrolment Centre.
The University of Johannesburg student numbers will stabilise at around 48 000-50 000. Only 6 000 students live in UJ residences. Space is extremely limited and demand by far exceeds residence capacity. Eligible returning students occupy 60% of residence space, leaving the remaining 40% space for new applicants each year.
The UJ Library is responsible for academic information support to all students, lecturing staff and researchers through its network of campus libraries and through its central administrative and management services based on the Auckland Park Kingsway (APK) Campus.
UJ recognises the need for advanced technology and understands the impact IT has on its coremission and strategy. ICS, in partnership with its stakeholders, is working hard to ensure that thebenefits of technology are felt throughout the institution.
The Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) undertook an audit of the Biomedical Technology and Environmental Health programmes in In line with the re-curriculation of programmes by the Professional Boards of the HPCSA.
The University has four campuses, namely the Auckland Park Bunting Road Campus; the Auckland Park Kingsway Campus; the Doornfontein Campus; and the Soweto Campus.
The campuses vary in size and each has its own character and culture contributing to the institution's rich diversity. A comprehensive development plan has been framed to ensure the optimal utilisation of all campuses. This will direct the growth and development of five sites of higher education delivery, each unique in its academic programme profile and capacity, but all sharing the objective to offer high-quality university education.
UJ Sport Offers:
Transport And Logistics Students Association (TaLSA)"For Students By Students"
The search for qualified and talented transport economists, planners and logisticians continues to be one of the greatest challenges faced by companies in the country and across the globe. The low output of students in transport and logistics qualifications remains a serious concern for the institutions of higher learning. The fact of the matter is that the number of students enrolling for the programmes (in logistics and transport) is increasing, but there is a need to do more in closing the scarce skills gap.
On the back of the recent success in a number of global ranking systems, comes another victory for the University of Johannesburg (UJ), with it attaining and sustaining full, international, accreditation for its BSc Honours Information Technology (IT) degree.
Go to your profile page to get personalised recommendations!