Are you looking for a flexible way to study, the prestige of a U.S. university and cutting-edge distance learning methodologies? Many top universities in the United States developed competitive models of digital learning and adapted their curricula to online education methods to offer students some of the best distance learning experiences possible.
Here are some of the U.S. universities to offer distance-learning programmes:
1. Boston University – Being one of the largest, non-profit universities in the United States, Boston University managed to develop a reliable online learning environment for higher education. The study offer includes a broad range of online graduate programs, diplomas, and non-credit professional certificates, as well as an undergraduate degree completion program and even some online doctoral programs. Course content includes online lectures, videos, interactive animations and discussion boards. Boston University received the Sloan Consortium award for Excellence in Institution-Wide Online Education and the U.S. Distance Learning Association award for 21st Century Best Practices.
2. University of Florida – Frequently ranked in the top 20 of the best American public universities, the University of Florida Distance Learning has more than 330,000 alumni in more than 135 countries. University of Florida offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees via distance and online learning in a broad range of disciplines from agriculture, engineering or pharmacy to business administration degrees. University of Florida also offers many non-credit and continuing education courses and programs especially designed for working professionals who wish to advance their career.
3. Arizona State University – The university was ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of the most innovative schools in student support services. Arizona State University Online offers almost 100 bachelors and masters in various fields of business, social sciences, public and medical services. There are also online certificate programs at both undergraduate and graduate level. Courses are delivered through a digital learning platform and students are expected to spend around 18 hours a week on coursework.
4. University of Wisconsin-Madison – The University of Wisconsin System consists of a network of degrees and courses collectively offered by more than 25 campuses. There is a wide array of study choices with diverse undergraduate programs, Master’s programs, and many more non-degree certificate programs. Subjects and disciplines range from communication, management and liberal studies to political science and nursing. The University of Wisconsin earned a honor roll distinction, from the U.S. News top online education programs ranking for its Master in Engineering programs. Such degrees include courses in engine systems, sustainable systems engineering and computer engineering, among others.
5. Pennsylvania State University - The University of Pennsylvania is one of the oldest universities in the America and in 1892 became one of the first schools to provide correspondence courses. In 1998, the university launched Penn State World Campus, a modern and complex online platform for distance education. Penn State Online currently offers over 100 online education programs, degrees and certificates in education, business, engineering, technology, healthcare, and more. The university benefits from a large worldwide network of alumni comprising more than 631,000 members. Courses are asynchronous, meaning that students don't have to attend online classes at a specific time, and use a combination of self-study and peer-to-peer interaction.
6. Stanford University – Stanford is best known in the online environment for its offer of free lifelong learning courses and lectures. Stanford Online also offers a variety of degrees and certificates in conjunction with many of the university’s schools and departments, as for example the school of engineering, schools of medicine, law, business, and humanities and sciences. Stanford University also delivers corporate education programs fully online, on-campus at company work sites, and even through a combination of methods (blended courses).
7. University of California, Berkeley - Is one of the most selective universities in the world for undergraduate education. In 2012, the university founded the Berkeley Resource Centre for Online Education (BRCOE), which is a resource hub that coordinates and facilitates the online education initiatives, from credit and non-credit courses, to online degrees and MOOC projects. The University of California Berkley Extension offers a variety of courses that carry transferable academic credit. Full certificates and study programs are available in areas such as business analysis, marketing, advanced bio-sciences or paralegal studies.
8. Northeastern University – Northeastern University is a non-profit institution that became a leader in cooperative education and reached a network of more than 203,000 alumni worldwide. The Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education recognizes Northeastern as a university with high interdisciplinary research activity. The study choice is wide, with disciplines ranging from accounting and finance, engineering technology and electronics, to legal, medical and pharmaceutical studies.
9. Rochester Institute of Technology – This private, coeducational university includes nine colleges emphasizing experiential learning. Rochester Institute of Technology is a pioneer in distance education and offers flexible learning opportunities through a modular approach to curriculums. On the institute's online platform, students can create a program suited to their professional goals by selecting various modules from one or several disciplines. There are also many fixed courses or graduate and undergraduate degrees to choose from.
10. Washington State University – Founded in 1890, the university created its online Global Campus in 2012, aiming to bring its academic programs to a wider audience. WSU Global Campus is a user-friendly platform, where students can find bachelors, masters and non-degree certificates at both graduate and undergraduate level. Even though the distance-learning offer is not as extensive, the school is considered one of the best offering business administrations courses, especially its MBA with a concentration in marketing.
Increase your chances of being admitted to a top online Bachelor or Master in the USA by advancing your English speaking skills. Find English learning courses provided by language schools all over the world.