What is Social Policy?
A degree in Social Policy gives you the knowledge and tools to analyse, design, and implement policies that promote equality, justice, and well-being for individuals and communities. Social Policy is an exciting academic programme that helps you understand and shape the world you live in, so get ready to make a positive impact on society!
Social Policy specialisations
The most common specialisations in Social Policy depend on what area of society you want to focus on and bring positive change through better policies. You can focus on health, the environment, the economy, international relations, and so on. Here are some of your options:
- Social Health Policy;
- Development Policy;
- Environment and Energy Policy;
- Global Policy;
- Social Policy Area Concentrations.
What will you learn during a Social Policy programme
A Social Policy degree gives is the best for people who want to make changes in society and work to correct social injustice. During this programme, you'll learn a range of skills to excel in the profession. If you're wondering why Social Policy is a good degree, here's what you'll gain:
- complete understanding of the complex dynamics and challenges within society;
- the ability to analyse social issues with a critical eye;
- skills to perform social research;
- understanding of poverty and social inequalities.
Common courses include:
- Principles and Skills of Social Research, which teaches you how to do social research;
- Law and Social Policy, where you learn how to create policies within a legal system;
- Poverty, Wealth and Inequality, a course about the effects of wealth inequalities and how to tackle this issue;
- Globalisation, International Migration & Citizenship, with a focus on the effect of globalisation and migration;
- Social Policy in Practice, useful skills and knowledge for the practical application of social policy.
Overall, you gain a well-rounded understanding of social justice, ethics, and human rights. Without a doubt, a degree in Social Policy is worthwhile because it gives you the tools you need to make a positive impact on society and contribute to creating more inclusive communities.
Skills required to study Social Policy
A degree in Social Policy is all about understanding society and building the means to shape it. Research and data analysis skills are very important for this degree, as well as the ability to communicate with clarity and solve problems. Finally, perhaps the most important Social Policy degree requirement is being passionate about social justice.
What can you do with a Degree in Social Policy?
The learning process in Social Policy is quite exciting, but what jobs can you get with a Social Policy degree? The good news is there are a lot of options to fit your particular interests. Here are some examples:
- Public affairs consultant;
- Policy analyst;
- Community development coordinator;
- Education administrator;
- International aid worker.